Friday, May 11, 2012

The Wild Things


I was very saddened to hear that Maurice Sendak had passed away earlier this week. His book, Where the Wild Things Are,  is one of my very favorites!

In honor of this wonderful author, I did a little activity with our class. I wanted to share this great story with them so that they could love it as much as I do!

We started by reading the story. The children loved it! That max is quite a character!

Then I had the children write what they thought would happen next in the story.
I got all kinds of wonderful answers! Several children thought that Max would eat his supper and then go to sleep and dream about the Wild Things. Others thought that Max would eat his supper and then go back to visit the Wild Things to have another Wild Rumpus. One even suggested that maybe the Wild Things would come to visit Max at his house.

These were great responses to the story! It not only showed me the students' ability to use basic capitalization, punctuation, and sentence structure, it also gave them the chance to participate in writing by using an author's model of language and extending the model.

They also demonstrated their abilities to use words that name characters and settings and  tell action and events in simple texts.

Who knew that you could learn so much from just one book? That's why it is such a great story!


No comments: