Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Ms. O is back!

After a wonderful week learning at the North Carolina Center for the Advancement of Teaching (NCCAT), I am back with my wonderful children!
I came back to a huge sign that said "We Miss You Miss Overcash!" with all of their names on it.
I got a positive report from the sub and was really proud of them!


This week we have been learning about St. Patrick's Day. We learned who St. Patrick is and a little bit about the country of Ireland. We completed a vocabulary/handwriting exercise on Monday where we learned several new words associated with St. Paddy's Day like "Shamrock", "Ireland", and "Rainbow".

We also got to read some really cute St. Patrick's Day books: The Night Before St. Patrick's Day and Looking For Leprechauns. We learned about those sneaky guys, but we never did get to see one!

With our buddies yesterday we completed a St. Patrick's Day graph and answered questions about it as well as writing in our journals about what we would do if we found a pot of gold! The leprechauns are still making messes next door, but I'm glad they aren't coming to see us :)

This week we are also learning about spring. We have been practicing our seasons and I am very proud to report that almost everyone is able to tell them to me in order! That's first grade work!


This week's centers:

Games: The children are playing "War" to practice the card and number skills that they learned last week while I was gone.

Math: The children are completing a book of missing numbers. This helps them to practice counting as well as writing numbers!

Technology: The children are playing an "I Spy" Game on the smart board. This is similar to the "I Spy" books that we have and the children love getting to play it in an interactive way.

Listening: The children are listening to Leprechaun On The Loose and completing a Listening Center report where they write the title, draw a picture, and finish the sentence "My favorite part of the story was..."

No comments: