Friday, March 8, 2013

Cat in the Hat Day {Also known as saving the best for last!}

To finish out our fun Suess-tastic celebration this week, we read The Cat in the Hat. This is one of my very favorite Seuss stories because that crazy cat makes the most fun mischief!

Today I have a little bit (or a huge) frog in my throat so instead of me reading the story to them, I let Justin Bieber do it. The kids loved getting to see one of their favorite singers reading the story instead!

After we read the story, we discussed the different characters in the story. I asked the children how each one of them behaved. I loved their answers.

Cat: Bad, Good, Silly, Crazy
Thing One and Thing 2: Wild
Fish: Follows the Rules, Good

They clearly have a great understanding of how to describe characters as well as what is ok to do and what might be a little bit too much!

After we discussed each character, I asked the students to pick which one was their favorite. The only catch was that they had to be able to tell me why this was their favorite character.

Once they decided their favorite character, they were able to come and add their choice to our class graph.

I loved their answers describing why the liked their characters.... The Cat "had a lot of fun and then he cleaned up his mess", Thing One and Thing Two "did lots of wild stuff", and my favorite was describing the fish.

"He was trying to tell them what to do and I think he was being nice"



I'm a rules person myself, so my obvious choice was the fish and I loved that one child in my class agreed with me :)


Here is how the rest of the class chose their favorites.






























After we made our graph we discussed which one was the class favorite and how many more people liked The Cat than Thing One and Thing Two and how many more people liked Thing One and Thing Two than The Fish.

This was a fun activity to do after reading the book and it gave the students a chance to explore the characters in the story a little deeper and think about each character and which one they liked the best based on their actions in the story. It also reviewed graphing and  several other great math terms including "how many more", "how many fewer", "most", and "fewest".

Later this afternoon we'll be watching the animated version of The Cat in the Hat,, which I know will not disappoint!

No comments: